Friday, 2 November 2012

Burberry Complete Eye Palette 02 Mocha - review, pictures and swatches

The long awaited Burberry Complete Eye Palettes were released yesterday (November 1).

I visited my local Burberry counter yesterday to have a look at the new palettes, and came home with 02 Mocha.  Unfortunately my SA was away, and the testers were not out yet - I chose Mocha as it contained 'safe' neutrals, in the absence of a tester.

Sadly, this palette has completely underwhelmed me.  Anyone who knows me, knows that I am a Burberry Beauty fan, and rarely have a bad thing to say about the range.

But this palette, in my opinion, is awful.  However, I will present pictures and swatches, and give my thoughts in an objective manner.

Description

Burberry Complete Eye Palette in 02 Mocha contains four neutral shades:
- A matte bone shade, similar to Burberry Trench;
- A medium golden neutral shade, similar to Burberry Gold Trench;
- A medium warm brown shade, similar to Burberry Almond or Chestnut;
- A medium to deep warm brown that leans red, not comparable to any existing Burberry single.
(similarities derived based on shade finish and depth - not on the palette containing 'dupes' - the singles are superior in every way to this palette)

The palette comes in the typical Burberry velvet pouch, and contains three applicator tools - a sponge tip, an angle brush, and a blending brush.

Product Pictures















Swatches

Direct sunlight

Direct sunlight

Flash

Flash

Indirect natural light

Indirect natural light

My thoughts

I shall write about the practical aspects of the palette before giving my thoughts on the shadows themselves.

Weight versus price

First up, the weight of the eye shadows.  The palette contains 5.4 grams of eye shadow.  A Burberry eye shadow single is 2.5 grams.

Here in Australia, a Burberry eye shadow single is $45.00; the palettes are $85.00.

An eye shadow single equates to $18.00 per gram; the palette equates to $15.75 per gram.

So from a bang-for-your-buck perspective, you do a little better with the palettes over the singles, in AUD.

USD comparative: eye shadow single $29.00/$11.60 per gram; eye shadow palette $59.00/$10.93 per gram.

GBP comparative: eye shadow single £22.50/£9 per gram; I don't have a GBP price for the palettes yet, but will update as soon as I can find it.

The tools

Burberry did surprise me a little with the inclusion of the three tools.

The sponge tip applicator is stock standard - but of lesser quality than the sponge tip included in the eye shadow singles.  The sponge moved around too much - like most sponge tips that you get with eye shadows (singles or palettes) it felt cheap, and like the sponge would easily rip or dislodge.

I've been trying to figure out the hair used in the mini blending brush.  It is quite soft, and appears to be natural hair.  The hair feels softer than goat - but apparently Burberry use pony and goat hair blends in their full size brushes.  Regardless, the little blending brush is soft, but useless.  It might make a good little brush for patting on setting powder under the eyes, but for eye shadow - forget it.

The little angle brush was surprisingly good.  It is synthetic, and quite stiff.  You won't be able to apply a clean precise line with it, but it is nice for getting eye shadow along the lashline.  It is a little harsh though - it isn't at all soft.  This would make a nice little eyebrow brush.

In summary - ditch the tools or use them for something else.

The compact

The compact is about the same size as the Burberry blush and bronzer compacts.  It is heavy and of solid construction, and magnetised - standard for Burberry packaging.  The compact has a mirror - but no inside compartment for the tools.  To carry the tools 'on board' you need to keep the compact and tools together in the Velvet pouch.

The eye shadows

Okay, now onto my scathing review.

There is no other way around saying it - the quality of these eye shadows is crap.  I can only assume these palettes are made in the same factory as the Burberry eye shadow singles, as both say 'made in Italy', and the packaging is on par with the rest of the Burberry line.

On swatching, I knew the eye shadows weren't going to impress me.  The dark shade appears 'nice' in the swatch pictures, but as I am sure most of you will notice, the other three shades look rather 'meh'.

I applied the shadows onto bare skin on one eye, and on top of a primer (Too Faced Shadow Insurance) on the other eye.  Straight up, the primer made absolutely no difference to the application or colour payoff of the shadows.

Each shade varied somewhat in how it applied and wore.

The matte bone shade was dry and chalky, which if you look closely at my swatches, you will see this in comparison to the other three colours.  I had hoped that the eye shadow perhaps just swatched poorly, but no - when applied on my eyelids, there was absolutely no payoff whatsoever.  It was dry, almost chalky, and not the quality I expect from Burberry.  I attempted to layer it - and nothing.  The colour is on par with Burberry Trench single eye shadow in the pan -   I adore Trench, and it is far superior to the bone shade in this palette.

Matte bone shade = epic Burberry fail.

The medium golden neutral shade applied reasonably well.  It went on smooth, but again, it was lacking in pigmentation.  There was some shimmer apparent in the swatch and in the pan, which didn't entirely translate onto the skin.  Very average, and very dupe-able.  The colour is on par with Burberry Gold Trench single eye shadow in the pan - but again, the Gold Trench eye shadow single is far superior.

Medium golden neutral shade = very average.

The medium warm brown shade is a bit of a chameleon - in indirect light it looks quite neutral and almost taupe, but in true light the warmth is very apparent.  When applied to my lids, this had an almost orange hue to it, the type of hue you see in cheaper brown eye shadows.  Not nice.  This shade has a satin appearance in the pan, which did not translate onto the skin - it applied very flat and dull.  This shade is on par with Almond and Chestnut in the pan, with reference to shade depth.  And again, the eye shadow singles are superior.  Chestnut is the closest in the single eye shadow range to this palette colour.  I do not own Chestnut as personally I do not like it on myself (it is too warm), but I do own Almond - and in this instance, I would most certainly choose Almond eye shadow single over this shade in the palette.

Medium warm brown shade = cheap.

The medium deep warm brown shade swatched remarkably well - I got a little excited over this one.  But alas, the pigmentation just wasn't there on my eyes.  I packed the colour on, and lightly blended it out - and it ALL blended away, leaving me looking bruised.  The shimmer apparent in the pan and in the swatch did not translate onto the lids.  There isn't a similar colour to this in the single eye shadow range, but in the pan the depth looks on par with Midnight Brown - imagine Midnight Brown with a red undertone to it.

Medium deep warm brown shade = bruised.

These eye shadows were not buildable at all.  I tried and tried to pack them on, to no avail.  As soon as I went in with a brush, it all brushed away, leaving a dirty bruisy colour behind.  It was so sheer, I could clearly see the veins in my eyelids.

And the fall out - THE FALL OUT!!  It went everywhere!! Half way down my face!!

I left the eye shadows on for an entire afternoon.  After about six hours, the colours had muted and faded a little - and still looked terrible.  The dark shade retained the most pigment - on both eyes (both with and without primer) - but still looked rather ordinary.

In summary, I have been left very disappointed by this palette.

The Burberry eye shadow singles are far superior, in every way.

The colour payoff might be better over a more 'wet' base, but I honestly believe that a good quality eye shadow at a high end price point should have good colour payoff without one (even if it doesn't last a long time).  I will try this palette over a more wet base (like a cream eye shadow or concealer), but I am not getting my hopes up.

The only shade that may have potential for me is the dark brown shade over a more wet base (or used wet) - but the colour is not remarkable enough to warrant keeping this palette.

Oh Burberry, how did you get this palette oh so wrong?

This is my honest opinion peeps - take a look at these palettes in person if you get a chance and make up your own mind - but I would not recommend buying these sight unseen.

I will return to Burberry once the testers are in and see if the other five palettes are as terrible as the Mocha palette - I am interested in the Smokey Grey and Pale Nude palettes - Smokey Grey in particular had some deeper greys that aren't present in the single eye shadow range.  But I suspect I will be left underwhelmed with those as well.

If any of my readers have the chance to test these palettes, please report back to me with your thoughts - I would love to hear them.

In the meantime, I shall stick to my beloved Burberry eye shadow singles.

Thank you for reading.

Bern x


 

30 comments:

  1. Crap? They're crap? But those palettes look so pretty?!!! I only own 2 Burberry e/s and I adore them, the reason I don't have more is because they're quite bulky yet I don't have the heart to depot them. So these are different from the original ones, what a disappointment, I would have loved one palette :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear!
      I was so so so disappointed :(
      The singles are superior. Truly.
      I am working on depotting all of my Burberry singles - perhaps a complete custom palette will help sway you over to depotting yours? :D
      xo

      Delete
  2. Oh no :( I'm so sorry you've had your first Burberry big let down.
    I'll wait to see your other reviews / swatches before I make my call, I was going to get one of these palettes as they seemed more bang for your buck than the singles.
    Thanks for your honesty Bern, it really helps me in making a decision with such an expensive brand, you're a star xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love!
      I'll aim to report back on the others ASAP, but not getting my hopes up to be honest.
      There are a few other swatches online if you look - but considering how poorly these translated despite swatching reasonably okay, swatches might not be the best measure of quality with these palettes.
      Definitely a try-before-you-buy deal.
      And no problems! I am here to provide honest and thoughtful reviews. Yes, my first Burberry let down sadly, but it was going to happen eventually - all brands have hits and misses!
      xo

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! Thanks for this, lemming slain!
    Caroline xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya Caroline!
      Yes - I think this review will slay many a lemming, sadly!
      xo

      Delete
  4. Oh no :(. I had been looking forward to seeing how these would turn out, but I will definitely be giving them a miss if they're this awful (this is probably no bad thing given the enormous length of my current wish list!). I really enjoyed your review and your photos are excellent -- thank you :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosy!
      Keep in mind, this review only applies to the Mocha palette - I cannot comment on the other palettes until I get to try them out for myself.
      I'm sincerely hoping they won't be as bad as this one!
      And thank you for the feedback - I am working hard at trying to improve my photography! It is harder than it looks!
      xo

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this honest review!

    I was planning on swatching this one, but after reading your review I think Im gonne pass then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime Sandra!
      I have been brutally honest. It saddens me as a Burberry devotee, but I cannot lie.
      Do let me know if you swatch any of the others, and what you think.
      xo

      Delete
  6. To be honest, my hopes were at rock bottom after first seeing the cheaptastic promo pics, then hearing they had been delayed for months, then pulled, oh oops nope then being released again.... now your review has buried this lem six feet under. Thanks, B!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remained optimistic until the end Kate!!
      But alas, they are le suck :(
      Happy to have heaped some dirt on that lemming for you!
      xo

      Delete
  7. Thank you for killing my lemming. My credit card thanks you... although you made me want the singles now ._.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem lovely!
      Yes, lemming = dead and buried!
      As for the singles... best you stay away from my blog, as I plan on reviewing quite a few of them! I adore my Burberry singles!
      xo

      Delete
  8. Well, that killed that lem. :/ I guess I will check it out in person. Maybe the other ones will be nicer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BELLY!!! :D
      I am hopeful that the others will be nicer, I won't know until I get to swatch them in person once my SA has the testers in.
      I saw online swatches for the Nude and Spice palettes - those swatches were quite meh as well. The Pale Nude one was apparently very powdery.
      I am hopeful the Smokey Grey one will be nice. Oyh.
      Let me know if you get to try them out, and what you think! I'd love to hear your thoughts!
      xo

      Delete
    2. Bern! I was them in person today. Was sad. I liked the feel of the Pale Nudes one, but it was very chalky. The rest didn't have the singles buttery smoothness and slightly patchy.

      Delete
    3. Belly!! How are you my lovely?
      You saw them huh... So I'm not crazy, and they are all a bit ordinary?
      So very disappointed.
      What were Burberry thinking?
      xo

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for the careful review! Luckily I have a Burberry counter reasonably close to me, so I can check out in person. Though it's looking like a NO WAY at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Emi!
      As mentioned, I cannot speculate on the other palettes just yet, other than the swatches I saw of the Spice and Nude palettes (which looked awful). I'm still holding out hope for Smokey Grey!
      Please do report back when you get to try them for yourself. I would love to know what you think!
      xo

      Delete
  10. What a shame, I was really looking forward to these as I am also a big fan of their singles. Still it will be interesting to see if this sub par formula is only with the Mocha palette. Thanks for the helpful review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Many Burberry fans were sadly looking forward to these.
      I too hope that one of the palettes is of better quality.
      xo

      Delete
  11. Yuck! I thank you wholeheartedly for killing this lem, but this means I'll have to indulge in the single eyeshadows sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heya koushi!
      Bypass the palettes and head straight to the singles... the singles are where the good stuffs at girl.
      xo

      Delete
  12. I agree with you, for Burberry prices I want them to work beautifully dry as well as wet. Sad to hear that this is a fail, I am going to swatch some of the other palettes as I love the idea of them, but I don't have high hopes :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very valid point Emma... also considering the performance of the singles, which is incredible in my humble opinion.
      Please let me know if you swatch them, and what you think.
      xo

      Delete
  13. I've just read another review of this palette but it wasn't Mocha, it was about Smokey grey from another blog and the blogger only had good things to say about it so I presume it's not all palettes just Mocha and it sucks bec it's the one I wanted the most. I wanted to buy it after reading the review but after reading yours I think I'll have to pass and just save my moolah until I can afford the singles in Pale Barley,Mulberry and Midnight Brown shades ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane!
      Thank you for that - I was also looking at Smokey Grey, so I shall go look up that review.
      I sincerely hope all the palettes aren't as bad as Mocha.
      I have seen swatches of Dark Spice and Pale Nude, and those too looked dreadful (especially Pale Nude - very chalky).
      As far as brown shades go, definitely invest in the singles. They are far superior to the Mocha palette.
      xo

      Delete
  14. This is the most comprehensive review of the Burberry eyeshadows I have come across (especially for an Australian). I recently purchased a single eyeshadow and adore it so I was contemplating getting the palette. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog. You've saved me $85! thank you so much for this review! You are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Supreet!
      Many thanks for taking the time to read my review!
      I do advise against the palettes, sadly :(
      The singles truly are superior.
      If I can ever assist with anything, please email me anytime! (you can find all my contacts via the Contact/Social Media tab at the top of the page).
      Bern xo

      Delete