Friday, 12 October 2012

Skin care favourites: Lush BB Seaweed fresh face mask

After a day of blogging adventures the other week, I stopped via Lush and picked up one of my staple skin care items - BB Seaweed fresh face mask.  On my way home, I thought to myself, I love this mask so much I need to tell everyone about it. 

I have been using BB Seaweed for about two years now.  I have tried some of the other Lush fresh face masks - Cupcake, Catastrophe Cosmetic, Oatifix, The Sacred Truth... but BB Seaweed surpassed them all performance-wise on my skin.  Cupcake is also fantastic and has seen me through some serious problem skin moments, so I shall give credit where credit is due there.  But BB Seaweed trumps them all (for me!).


The product description on the label states:
Relaxing and reviving fragrant, mineral-rich mask to cleanse, soften and beautify all skins. This blend, inspired by the sea contains fresh, nutritious seaweed and seaweed absolute. Cleansing kaolin, antiseptic honey, calming aloe vera and rose absolute make this a great mask for everyone.


BB Seaweed does it for me, as it completely calms my skin during rosacea flares - it completely knocks out all the redness, cools and calms my skin, and makes it feel balanced again.

The kaolin in BB Seaweed is enough for a gentle cleanse only, and therefore does not leave my skin feeling tight and dehydrated, a problem I find with more hardcore clay based masks.

The aloe, rose, and seaweed leaves my skin feeling nurtured and nourished.

My skin is left feeling soft, calm, and looking more even toned.

I use BB Seaweed on an as-needed basis.  When my rosacea is playing up, I try to relax with BB Seaweed on my skin to calm it down.  I also like to use BB Seaweed before a night out, to calm and soothe my skin so it looks its best.

BB Seaweed is suitable for all skin types, however with that being said, it is important to note that this mask does contain seaweed and essential oil extracts.  Some people are highly intolerant to these ingredients, so please proceed with caution, and always do a patch test if unsure.

A single 75 gram pot provides on average four to five uses.  Lush fresh face masks typically last about three weeks in the fridge, and are clearly labelled with a date of manufacture, and use by date.

BB Seaweed retails for $15.95 in Australia, $6.95 in the US, and £5.95 in the UK for 75 grams.  As Lush fresh face masks are biofresh, refrigerated, and preservative free, you must buy them in store.  Lush also have an incredible recycling scheme - the return of five black plastic pots will earn you a free fresh face mask!

So if you are looking for a mask that is soothing, reviving, and gives the skin a bit of a boost, definitely take a look at BB Seaweed.

I have tried many face masks over the past twenty years since I first got into skin care, and BB Seaweed is without a doubt one of the best masks I have ever used.  This mask will be a staple item in my skin care rotation for many years to come!

Ingredients

Lime Tree Flower (Tilia europaea) & Sweet Violet Leaf (Viola odorata) Decoction, Kaolin, Honey (Mel), Glycerine, Ground Almonds (Prunus dulcis), Seaweed (Fucus serratus), Aloe Vera Gel (Aloe barbadensis), Millet Flakes (Panicum miliaceum), Olive Oil (Olea europaea), Bentonite Gel, Fresh Rose Petals (Rosa centifolia), Rose Absolute (Rosa centifolia), Patchouli Oil (Pogostemon cablin), Rosemary Oil (Rosmarinus officinalis), Seaweed Absolute (Fucus vesiculosus), *Citral, *Geraniol, *Benzyl Benzoate, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume. *Occurs naturally in essential oils.

You can also look up the Lushopaedia, the brilliant online ingredient glossary on the Lush website.

Thanks for reading!

Bern x

4 comments:

  1. oooooooooh!!
    I've been eyeing this for sooo long!
    Thanks for the review Bern :D
    I've been looking for a hydrating mask that is not scrub.
    I used to use St Ives clay mask, but it did dry out my face (almost felt like I had botox on lol)

    Since it contains no preservatives, how long does it last in fridge?
    I still have 2 other mask / scrub to finish off so definitely can't use it every single day..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries my dear!
      Yes, unfortunately a lot of clay based masks can be rather dehydrating - it is hard to find ones that have the balance right.
      Lush fresh face masks last on average three weeks in the fridge, I can usually stretch it out to four or five weeks if I store it in the really cold part of my fridge - my fridge temp is set to be a little extra cold anyway. But it is wise to take note of the use by date on the pot.
      I would recommend trying this out as a skin 'treat' first, rather than as a whole new product to incorporate into your routine - obviously, spending $15.95 every month or so adds up, this I know!
      I don't use many other masks though - BB Seaweed, and Greek yoghurt are my staples.
      xo

      Delete
    2. $5 a week? ouch..
      Can I freeze this and reuse it later? x) I wouldn't use it every day so I'm sure there'll be a lot of leftovers.
      Will definitely try this though! :D
      Greek yoghurt as in, any greek yoghurT?

      Delete
    3. Yup, that's why I suggested trying it as a 'treat' rather than a routine item my dear!! :D
      Masks don't need to be a routine item anyway - masks should be used on an 'as needed' basis.
      I'm unsure about freezing this - I am sure you could. I have heard that some people do freeze their Lush masks, but have never tried myself. I have read that some people use an ice cube tray, and then freeze the cubes in a freezer bag (that way the mask is frozen in portions) and pull out a cube as needed.
      As for yoghurt masks - yup, plain Greek yoghurt! Jalna is my favourite. I've tried other Greek yohurts, but they just didn't work as well on my skin. I do hope to do a write up on yoghurt masks in the near future :)
      xo

      Delete