Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Burberry Lip Velvet #312 Hawthorn Berry - review, pictures and swatches

One of the most anticipated Burberry Beauty releases this year are the new Lip Velvet matte lipsticks.  These lipsticks have been the subject of many an online discussion in recent months... and finally, their official release date is approaching.

I was lucky enough to score one of these lipsticks ahead of their October 2012 release.

The October release will include twelve Lip Velvet shades.  There are to be a further three shades released soon thereafter, which will include the amazing Siren Red Lip Velvet shade seen at the recent Burberry Spring/Summer 2013 shows.

I was lucky enough to see all twelve new shades - I will be posting about this later in the week when I am able to return to take better photos.

I was able to bring one of these beautiful new Lip Velvet lipsticks home with me, and I chose #312 Hawthorn Berry.

Product Pictures


The box that the Lip Velvet lipsticks come in is essentially the same as for the Lip Cover and Lip Mist lipsticks.  However, the lipstick casing itself is different - the casing is of a deeper gunmetal grey tone and is not reflective like the standard Burberry packaging - it is representative of the name 'Velvet' (the same is also true for the new Velvet foundation).


The Lipstick...


Swatches

Direct sunlight (click to enlarge)

Direct sunlight (click to enlarge)

Flash (click to enlarge)

Indirect natural light (click to enlarge)

My thoughts...

Burberry Beauty Lip Velvet lipsticks are billed as matte, long wearing lip colours that hydrate the lips.  The lipsticks are lightweight, contain silicones and waxes that give an almost gel like consistency upon application, and are enriched with the moisturising properties of shea and wild rose extract.  The end result is rich, opaque, and velvet like.

Shade #312 Hawthorn Berry is an amazingly rich, deep red.  I am impressed with the colour - most deep toned lipsticks have a tendency to pull towards fuchsia on my lips.  Hawthorn Berry did not - it remained a true, deep red.  The colour was also complimentary to my teeth, making them appear extremely white.

With all that being said, I was happy overall with the Lip Velvet I purchased today, but it is far from infallible.

Application was fiddly - in my opinion, this is not a colour you can apply directly from the tube, especially if you have sharply defined lips (as I do).  Those that have a less defined cupids bow and lipline, or a more rounded and soft lip shape, may get away with a direct application if absolute precision is not a necessity.

I first applied the Lip Velvet using a MAC 263 brush, to create a crisp, clean outline.  I then filled in my lips with a MAC 231 brush combined with strokes straight from the tube, gently working the Lip Velvet in with the brush.  Application using a brush was easy enough, but I found it took a little extra time to get a smooth, clean finish at the outer corners of the mouth.

The texture was fantastic - matte lipsticks have come such a long way since the mid 1990's, when Revlon Colorstay was a permanent fixture on my lips every waking moment of every day.  The Burberry Lip Velvet texture is smooth and lightweight and feels amazing on.

The Burberry Lip Velvet applied smoothly and evenly, and opacity was quickly achieved.

On initial application, the appearance is slightly creamy, and within a few minutes the lipstick kind of 'sets' and becomes a little more matte.

The Lip Velvet felt comfortable after 'setting' on my lips.  My lips did not feel like they were significantly moisturised/hydrated by the Lip Velvet, but they did not feel dry either - just comfortable.

I applied the Lip Velvet lipstick at 4pm onto clean, bare lips - no primer, no foundation, no lip balm, no lip pencil.  Entirely clean, dry lips.

I then left the Lip Velvet on until midnight that same day - a total of eight hours.  In that time, I did not touch up the Lip Velvet - I just let it be.

The colour remained intact for the first few hours.  By about 6-7pm, the colour had worn away from the inner, 'wet' part of my lips - however, the Lip Velvet left this area lightly stained, so it wasn't entirely obvious that it had started to wear off.

I ate dinner at around 8pm - after eating and drinking, majority of the lipstick was unfortunately gone.  I did not modify my eating so as to avoid disrupting the lipstick - I just ate as I normally would, as if I was not wearing lip colour.  However, one thing I did notice was that there was no colour transfer at any point onto my cutlery or glassware.

After dinner I checked my lips - the Lip Velvet had worn off by at least 50-60%, and left me with an opaque lip line and stained lips.  I left them in this condition, and went about my business for the evening.

By 11pm the colour was at least 90% gone - there was still a light stain left behind, but majority of the lipstick was gone.  My lips were also starting to feel dry again (in defense of the lipstick, I am currently suffering from mildly dehydrated lips) - but, they did not feel as dry as they did before applying the Lip Velvet.  At midnight when I started to cleanse my face in preparation for bed, the lipstick was completely gone - no stain, nothing.

Overall, I am impressed with the lipstick, but a little disappointed with how it wore off.  I adore the colour and texture - matte lipstick aficionados will certainly appreciate the texture and the aesthetic result.  This lipstick will require touch ups throughout the day/night - the positive is that the lip line remains clean and intact as the lipstick wears off, so one would be able to get away with touch ups straight from the bullet without the need to use a lip brush.  But it won't last you through an entire day, or even an entire dinner.  The application of primer, pencil, concealer or foundation underneath may prolong colour wear, and I shall experiment to see if I can improve wear time.  But standalone application on completely bare lips contradicts the long wear statement attached to this product.

I do plan on buying a few more of these lipsticks as personally I am not bothered by the need to reapply and touch up lipsticks.  I have my eye on #311 Bright Poppy which is similar in depth to Hawthorn Berry, but has more of a plum tone to it.

Thank you for reading!  I have listed the lipstick Ingredients below.

Bern x


Ingredients: neopentyl glycol dicaprylate/dicaprate; phenyl trimethicone; caprylic/capric triglyceride; polyethylene; microcristallina cera (microcrystalline wax); hydrogenated polyisobutene; hydrogenated polydecene; trimethylolpropane triisostearate; polybutane; PTFE; bis-diglyceryl polyacyladipate-2; diisostearyl malate; cetyl dimethicone; dimethicone/phenyl vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer; stearalkonium hectorite; dimethicone/divinyldimethicone/silsesquioxane crosspolymer; propylene carbonate; parfum (fragrance); phytosteryl/octyldodecyl lauroyl glutamate; zea mays (corn) oil; alpha-isomethyl ionone; propylparaben; triisostearin; hydrogenated cottonseed oil; hydrogenated palm kernel glycerides; tocopherol; ascorbyl palmitate; squalane; benzyl benzoate; hydroxycitronellal; oryza sativa (rice) bran wax; hydrogenated palm glycerides; butyrospermum parkii (shea) butter extract; hydrogenated castor oil; phytosteryl isostearate; rosa canina fruit extract; dicalcium phosphate; [+/- (may contain) CI 77019 (mica); CI77891 (titanium dioxide); CI 77491, CI 77492, CI77499 (iron oxides); CI 75470 (carmine); CI 73360 (red 30 lake); CI 45410 (red 27 lake, red 28 lake); CI 42090 (blue 1 lake); CI 19140 (yellow 5 lake); CI 15985 (yellow 6 lake); CI 15850 (red 6, red 7, red 7 lake)].

4 comments:

  1. Great post! Very detailed, informative and well-written. Lip swatches would also be helpful, since one can see the texture of the l/s better. Looking forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the feedback!
      I am going to start working on partial pics in the near future. I do agree, it is best to see the product 'in action' so as to get the best idea of how it looks.
      Thank you for the support!

      Delete
  2. Another brilliant post lovely :)

    I think I'm going to crack and get my first Burberry item, these look devine and who can resist that stunning packaging.

    Thanks for such amazing detail too, I adore your bloggy blog xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naw, thank you!!!
      Burberry is totally worth the splurge, I say!!
      I am working on more Burberry posts - there will (hopefully) be a post on Midnight Blue eyeshadow soon :D
      xxx

      Delete