Saturday, 29 September 2012

Burberry Lip Velvet #311 Bright Poppy - review, pictures and swatches

After purchasing and reviewing Burberry Lip Velvet in #312 Hawthorn Berry earlier this week, I returned to Burberry on Thursday to take better photos of the entire Lip Velvet range, and to purchase #311 Bright Poppy.

Hawthorn Berry and Bright Poppy are the two deepest shades in the Lip Velvet range - they have a similar depth of colour; however Hawthorn Berry is a true deep red, whereas Bright Poppy is a deep magenta plum.

Product Pictures

 
 
 

The Lipstick

 
 
 
 

Swatches

Direct sunlight (click to enlarge)

Direct sunlight (click to enlarge)

Flash (click to enlarge)

Natural light (click to enlarge)

Indirect natural light (click to enlarge)

Indirect natural light (click to enlarge)

My thoughts...

Whilst I do love the colour of #311 Bright Poppy, my two immediate thoughts on the colour are 1 - unlike #312 Hawthorn Berry, #311 Bright Poppy is not 'what you see is what you get' straight from the tube, and 2 - Bright Poppy isn't quite as wearable with my colouring (Hawthorn Berry is a more wearable shade for me, in my opinion).

Bright Poppy is as the name implies - it is BRIGHT.  It is deep and opaque, but at the same time it is bright and vivid.  The magenta tone is very apparent on my lips.  Under darker light conditions, Bright Poppy is an amazing vampy shade - but once bright light or the sun hits it, you can clearly see the magenta in it, and the colour just lights up.  It is very beautiful, but it is also very intense.

Application of Bright Poppy was much easier than for Hawthorn Berry - I was able to apply Bright Poppy straight from the tube, and the end result was almost as precise as application with a brush.  Bright Poppy in that respect is no where near as 'fiddly' to apply as Hawthorn Berry.  I also found Bright Poppy to have a little more slip, and overall it applied more evenly.  Full colour intensity was easily achieved.

Bright Poppy also wore down more evenly than Hawthorn Berry.  Through eating and drinking, it faded down more softly, and the residual lip line was not as discernibly harsh.  Bright Poppy retained a more creamy feel to it in contrast to Hawthorn Berry.  The downfall of this is that Bright Poppy transferred - during eating and drinking, it transferred onto my cutlery and glassware.  However, the transfer was light and even - it did not disrupt the lipstick greatly.

The stain that Bright Poppy leaves behind as it wears down is a bright magenta, almost fuchsia colour.

Bright Poppy lasted about the same time as Hawthorn Berry - after eight hours it was mostly gone.  But it wore down beautifully - no separation, no uneven wear, and no dry spots.

Overall, the formulation of Bright Poppy is easier to work with than Hawthorn Berry, but the intensity of colour means that I will be reserving Bright Poppy for occasional wear only.

Also - a quick note on the scent.  I forgot to mention the Lip Velvet scent in my review of Hawthorn Berry, and have since been asked about it.  Burberry lipsticks are well known for having a strong scent to them.  The Lip Velvets are no exception, however, I personally find the scent to not be quite as pungent, and smells a little more like perfumed lip balm, as opposed to the straight up perfume smell of the Lip Covers and Lip Mists.  It is more tolerable, but those who are averse to the Burberry scent may still find the Lip Velvets unbearable.

I do like these lipsticks.  They aren't mind blowing, but I like them nonetheless.

I have my eye on Redwood and Pink Azalea, and I shall be returning to Burberry to play with more of the Lip Velvet shades once they have testers in.

Thank you for reading!

Bern x

11 comments:

  1. Yes! Bright Poppy it is! :D Thank you so much for this review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to help, Champoun dear!!! xo

      Delete
  2. Is Bright poppy color the one Cara Delavigne is wearing on the ad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mai!
      If you take a look at my post here http://www.diabolusincosmetica.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/a-quick-look-at-new-burberry-lip-velvets.html
      apparently the colour Cara is wearing is #308 Pink Azalea, over Bright Plum lip pencil.
      I have purchased #308 Pink Azalea, and will be reviewing it in the next day or so (I have the photos ready to go).
      I shall be getting Bright Plum lip pencil, so that I can experiment and try to recreate the look from the promo pictures, though I suspect a lot of editing has been done (PhotoShop).
      Bright Poppy does closely resemble the promo pictures, however, in bright light, Bright Poppy is very vivid. In my opinion, Bright Poppy is the colour that most closely resembles the promo pictures, but as I said I have yet to try the Bright Poppy Lip Velvet/Bright Plum lip pencil combo.
      Hope this helps!
      xo

      Delete
  3. That's gorgeous! I want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, Bright Poppy would look incredible on you!! It has a creamier consistency than Hawthorn Berry and Pink Azalea as well (I shall be reviewing Pink Azalea very soon).
      Definitely try it out in store if you get a chance!
      xo

      Delete
  4. Οhhhh!!!! bright poppy ♥♥ Cant wait to try it on!! I've been waiting for thsi launch so much!
    Great review & great blog!
    maybe we could follow each other if you like (I have translator as well :-P )

    http://beautyincrisis.blogspot.gr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely!!
      I am hopefully doing a few more 'tweaks' soon :)
      Thank you for the blog link! You have (1) new public follower - I look forward to reading your posts!
      And yes, do look at Bright Poppy, it is a standout shade!
      xo

      Delete
  5. I purchased this one based on your review and I love it. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!
      Thank you for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated!
      Bright Poppy is a stunning colour :D
      xo

      Delete
  6. it's such a unique shade! i think i've never seen something quite like it before.

    ReplyDelete